Dearest Phoebe, Daddy has mastered procrastination to an art form. This is evident in the time intervals of my post to your digital herald. But this early Sunday morning, I have decided to put aside all things, including sleep, to write something as a tribute to your dearest Mummy.
Mummy plays a pivotal role in our family as she wears three to four hats at any one time. She is your loving Mum, Daddy's confidante, a filial daughter to your maternal grandparents, a respectiveful daughter-in-law to your paternal grandparents and last of all, a career woman most often working under harrowing job conditions!
All these roles put a tremendous moment of pressure on her and at times, such circumstances get her good and Daddy can tell she's trying sooooooo hard to keep moving forward.
Some nights when you are fast asleep, I would take the opportunity to chat with Mummy. One particular night, I remembered the pearls of tears that rolled down Mummy's cheeks as I said the words " I know...." I told her I know how hard she is trying to be the best Mummy to you, I told her I know that she's filial and pious, I also told her I know she's a respectful daughter-in-law as she never puts Daddy in a tight spot with your paternal grandparents, I told her I know she works in an organisation that operates in an environment of fear and spiteful office politics. I did not offer any immediate solutions to the myriad problems Mummy faced as I have none to offer.
So as I stroked your Mummy's hair that very night, with her cheeks still streaked with tears, she sought whatever short respite that the few hours of slumber could offer. I was not sure whether Mummy was truly asleep or she chose not to talk about the circumstantial issues on hand. Hence, I am writing this post as a continual tribute to the soldiering spirit of Mummy lest I forget about this incident. Most importantly, I am writing this so that one day, when you are done reading this entry, you will look at Mummy in her eyes and say the very words Daddy whispered to her ears..... " I know...."
Be good and smile pretty, Daddy Dearest.
1 comment:
awww...so sweet and touching!
i've no qualms that mommyserene is a wonder woman! she's my idol. :)
Post a Comment