.jpg)
Dearest Phoebe, Daddy is way late with this entry. For the past few evenings, I have been rather wore out, less so than Mummy. She has been taking care of you fulltime for the past few days as she is currently in-between jobs. It is a good break from work for her but being a fulltime caregiver is a lot tougher than being a career woman.
I have witnessed in the past few evenings, harsh admonishments from Mummy as you threw your tantrums. Recently, you seemed to have picked up this bad habit of bossing people around, asking them to move from their seats to requesting them to leave the room. Last evening, it got so bad that Mummy had to administer some corporal punishment, i.e., a couple of good smacks to your diapered bottom. You kept asking me to leave the room and when you were too worn for words, you kept going at it by pointing your index finger at me. Mummy was really furious at you. Frankly, this is the first time I have witnessed so much frustration written on Mummy's flushed face! However, I guess the corporal punishment hurt her in more ways than it did to your bottom.
I have had my fair share of frustration too. There was one evening when we were reading a childrens' activity book with flaps you were supposed to lift to uncover some information. You were bent on tearing off the flaps and our reading session ended abruptly as I threw your book out the bedroom in anger. In short, our evening didn't go well at all. It ended awkwardly as I tried my best to repair the torn flap; Mummy did make you apologise for your behaviour, so here's mine albeit a little late. I am sorry for flinging your book out of the room.
For Daddy's childhood, I do remember my school books and bags becoming missile objects as I drove Yeye up the wall when I was in primary school. I do not have the foggiest notion of what transpired but I still vividly remember my books and bags being thrown. Somehow, such traumatic things have a way of imprinting themselves in your memory permanently. Coupled with Mummy's harsh words, I will, with my inner superhero strength, never subject you to such senseless violent acts. First of all, we do not know the sort of psychological harm it may bring, Second, such acts are definitely not condoned in our household.
In out household, Mummy is the rock solid foundation while Daddy is at times all pumped up by some crazy half-baked harebrained ideas but am quickly grounded by Mummy's wise words. As weird as it may sound now, I draw some inspiration from the song titled "Ageing Superhero" by Newton Faulkner. (PS: He's a real iconclastic singer with the looks of a marijuana chain-smoking Reggae musician but chooses to serenade his fans with his baritone voice and acoustic folk guitar). In "Ageing Superhero", he sings about "The ageing superhero in me is tired. Because he's lived too fast for too long and he still longs to be inspired".
Mummy has a superhero in her too. She's getting tired and she also longs for some inspiration at times. Your smile and a simple hug would do just that. If you behave yourself, I guess it would make her fly! Superheroes have amazing prowess and probably the most popular of them is that of flight. Mummy is doing a super job of holding us together. In my eyes, she doesn't just fly, she soars....
Be good and smile pretty, Daddy Dearest.
No comments:
Post a Comment