Dearest Phoebe,we have just celebrated Xmas and the New Year is just around the corner. This is always a time for recollection and introspection. We didn't have our yearly Xmas party this time round because most of us are in a sombre and austere mood, mostly brought on by the economic uncertainty in the days ahead. Plus, we don't have a formal religion but thankfully, Daddy and Mummy are not atheists but I guess I can safely say we are both agnostic to a certain degree.
Mummy and Daddy would leave it up to you to pick your formal religion when you turn 21, so don't sweat it. In my opinion, religion is a moral compass for the human soul. It gives a person strength in times of trails and tribulations. Most importantly, it will govern his way of life.
We had a Xmas day celebration lunch with Er Yi and Cindy Jie Jie. In the afternoon, we spent time opening up presents from Auntie Constance and Auntie Michelle. Auntie Jiahui gave you your Xmas present way before the Xmas carols were playing over the PA systems at the shopping centres. So a really big thank you to them for your Xmas goodies. Mummy and Daddy didn't get you a present though. No particular reason but we probably felt that you already have a lot of presents.
Recently, I had a chat with one of a family acquaintance of sorts. She's an Australian of Eastern European descent (I guess?) and naturally, our discussion centred around you. She was delighted when I mentioned you and she said; in her thick slurry accent, "She don't belong to Mummy and Daddy, she belong to public" [sic]. She went on to explain that she sees great potential in you and your future contributions to society.
In my opinion, most people in our obsessively meritocratic society are worried about getting ahead in their careers or academic standing. Sadly, our accepted societal yardsticks of success are the contents of one's wallet and the type of one's "humble" abode. of course we would wish that you would have outstanding academic results and an illustrious career.
However, if you have the good fortune to measure up to society's yardsticks, Mummy and Daddy would hope that you would give it back to society in kind, based on the strength of your merits. "Paying it forward for the greater good", I say.
Hence, I feel that Mummy and I are custodians with heavy responsibilities, making sure you get the right education and to top it off would be our good ole Tender Loving Care (TLC)! I would look forward to day when we sit around the coffee table and I would ask you, "So this is Xmas, what have you done for our society?".
Be good and smile pretty,
Daddy Dearest
PS: You moulded this piece of Playdoh and was going round the table, attempting to scare Ah Ma, Er Yi and Cindy jie jie with your yellow "snake". Silly! We just finished our lunch outing with them and were chilling out at Ah Kun coffeeshop.
No comments:
Post a Comment