Dearest Phoebe,
"The yellow submarine is at
You managed to pick up some of the song's lyrics and its rhythm as I heard you attempting to sing it recently. I'm not sure whether Mummy is particularly
I guess I shan't carry out this idea until you are well into your teens. However, in this entry, I would like to bring to your attention a poignant song by the Beatles titled
There are places I’ll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I’ve loved them all
Last Sunday, one of your grand-aunts took her last breath as she succumbed to cancer. She walked the last leg of her worldly journey in the company of your aunt and some close friends. I can only think of one word that personified her, generosity. She was generous with her love and laughter.
According to Nainai, she even gave out free haircuts to the elderly folks who patronised her hair saloon. She eked out an honest living as a hairdresser for most of her adult life, almost single-handedly bringing up your two aunts. When you are done reading this entry, do come to me and I will fill you in on more details. There are some things I would definitely like to reminisce with you about your grandaunt. You probably would not have remembered her but I can still vividly recall her carrying you in her arms lovingly during one of our Lunar New Year family gatherings. There are just some things I cannot forget. I will always remember her kindness, her generosity and her iconoclastic spirit that was always so refreshing.
I miss her already.
Be good and smile pretty,
Daddy Dearest
No comments:
Post a Comment